X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flaxseed

I use both the whole seed sprinkling occasionally on top of my birds wet food. I also keep the flax seed oil to add to birdie bread.

Although flaxseed contains all sorts of healthy components, it owes its healthy reputation primarily to three ingredients:
    • Omega-3 essential fatty acids, "good" fats that have been shown to have heart-healthy effects. Each tablespoon of ground flaxseed contains about 1.8 grams of plant omega-3s.
    • Lignans, which have both plant estrogen and antioxidant qualities. Flaxseed contains 75- 800 times more lignans than other plant foods
    • Fiber. Flaxseed contains both the soluble and insoluble types.

My birds like the whole seed, too. I also bought the ground up powder but found out it apparently goes bad very quickly so most people grind their own...so it is a no-go for the powder for now in case it is rancid. For me, I just bought this stuff called Barlean's swirl and it is soooooo good! We are all getting healthier around here.
    sigpic "One way to open your eyes is to ask yourself, 'What if I had never seen this before? What if I knew I would never see it again?...
    Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of earth are never alone or weary of life."
    -Rachel Carson

Comment

the "why" may be one of the components Mary mentioned but they are good due to being oily. I must be tired, this just isn't sounding right. lol For those of us with oil birds it is good for the plumage!

Just don't try to spout a lot of it at once!!

Comment

Originally posted by MaryG1959 View Post
        I use both the whole seed sprinkling occasionally on top of my birds wet food.
        Mary I somehow think I remember that the seed had to be ground up for the birds to get any benefit from it. Do you know anything about this?

www.forbirdssaketoys.com 10% off your first order with coupon pb

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle & Fids View Post
          Mary I somehow think I remember that the seed had to be ground up for the birds to get any benefit from it. Do you know anything about this?
          Michelle,
          I've heard that before also. It's true that us humans need to grind the whole seed up to benefit. I put ground flax seed in my birdie bread. However, I feed the seed whole in their dry mixes. TOPS includes the whole seed in their seed mix for the little birds (like parrotlets). I'm guessing all three forms (whole seed, ground seed, and oil) are great for our birds. I take 1 TBS of ground flaxseed every day. It's helps a lot with inflammation and joint pain, and is great for our skin, hair, and digestive system.
          Kristen & FIDS:
          Ziggy, Tootsie, Boogie, ELF & Geraldine Budgies
          Fly Free & High, Emmie. You are Mommy's Angel & I Love You Forever!
          Like Us on Facebook for Contest Prizes & Other Promotions
          Use Coupon Code "TheParrotBoard" at Checkout for 10% Off Most Items in the Store!

Comment

It was always my understanding that flax seed loses its potency quickly.....so I've always purchased whole flax seed - Avoid - its potency can also be diminished due to improper handling and storage.

I had whole flax seed on my oatmeal this morning...but having said that it is important to chew the seed or ground just before you are ready to use it.

Comment

I have heard both ways about flax seed. Truth is my guys grind it up pretty good on their own. lol

Comment

Ok how long would it stay good in the freezer? Once I read that it was no benefit to them whole I tossed the bag in the freezer because I didn't have a way to grind it up.

www.forbirdssaketoys.com 10% off your first order with coupon pb

Comment

It will store for months in the fridge.
                  Kristen & FIDS:
                  Use Coupon Code "TheParrotBoard" at Checkout for 10% Off Most Items in the Store!

Comment

If packaged well for the freezer, and they dont become freezer burned I would imagine they would last for a long while but am not quite certain how long.

Comment

I should clarify that if you grind it, it should be kept for only a few weeks. But whole seeds can stay fresh for months in the fridge. I grind them fresh every morning for myself, and give them whole to all of the birds.
                      Kristen & FIDS:

Comment

Kristen, what do you use to grind your seeds? I probably should do the same rather than hoping they'll do the grinding.

Comment

Well, I don't grind much for my parrots - I give them whole seeds. I'll grind for birdie bread though. I use a coffee grinder specifically for this. I put a TBS of ground flax seed in my morning tea. I know, people are thinking, "Gross," right? LOL
                          Kristen & FIDS:

Comment

Working...
                          X