+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Food Habits of Parrots

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cherry

Default Food Habits of Parrots

I 've seen some discussions on the subject and thought it is a worthy topic. Some interesting explanations about food and parrot behavior.

http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-beha...cm_mmc=5208781

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michelle

interesting article! Thanks
    Everything and one has a chance, if someone has the heart to give them one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    ricky hassey

Great article it has good points to take note off.I have recently bought a parrot at my place and I was unaware of these things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Beatriz Cazeneuve

The people from that bird magazine usually get their facts wrong and this is not an exception. They don't 'play' with their food, the picking through the bowls and throwing some to the ground as well as chewing part and dropping the rest is a natural behavior and part of their ecological niche. It helps propragate plant species (no bees in the jungle) and feed ground species (sunlight doesn't reach the floor of a forest so there aren't that many nutritious plants growing there). The 'food' soup only happens in captivity, it doesn't happen in the wild (a parrot would have to be suicidal to go to ground and wet his food in a stream and become a sitting duck to predators) and it's only because most people feed them too much of unnaturally dry food (pellets, seeds, dehydrated food and veggies, uncooked pasta, etc). Parrots were created to eat plant material which is almost all water (leaves and tender stems are 85 to 95% water - even wood has more moisture than pellets -12% vs 4%) so the smart ones make up for it by dunking it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Iris

Birdamor.... Why would some do it more than others? I have conures that eat every crumb and others that want to dump food all over the floor and then decide what they actually want to eat.
    Last edited by idrial; 02-25-12 at 03:34 PM.
    idrial's flock
    Felix & Delenn (sun conures) | Luka (roseifrons conure) | Judas & Opal (turquoise GCCs) | Zack (fiery shouldered conure) | Emmy (blue headed pionus)

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...FaFeTAoddxXsMA

Automatic water bowls (there is one with a fountain also) become fun but help cut back on bacteria. Cover those electric cords. Cake likes to put rubber ducky in the water. I don't use a lot of pellets so not much soup from that but they do put other foods in the water dish. The gliders also put their pellets in the water to soften them. Interesting I thought...not just one species trying to soften up pellets.
    peggy

7. Likes unpoquito liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Beatriz Cazeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by idrial View Post
    Birdamor.... Why would some do it more than others? I have conures that eat every crumb and others that want to dump food all over the floor and then decide what they actually want to eat.
    I don't really know why some do it and others don't. My guess is that it has to do with the way they were weaned, the diet they get on a regular basis and individual preference. My birds don't do it so I don't really have any experience with the behavior -meaning I haven't had the opportunity to observe a number of individuals of different species dpoing it for any length of time to figure out why. I had more than 200 birds when I lived in Pa and, of all of them, the only one who continued soaking food after transitioning to the diet I give them was Mami (older, female zon -I still have her and she still does it) but only on the very few occasions I give them commercial bread, never anything else. The others who did (not all of them) stopped but I feed fresh gloop, raw produce and a seed/nut mix for dinner, no pellets, no dehydrated anything, no commercial treats, no human food which migh contain salt), no nothing but what I mentioned and birdy bread (which I make myself with yeast -very dense/moist- and gets baked overnight and served in the morning) so I guess they no longer feel the need. But they do throw food all over the place -LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Robyn

Quote Originally Posted by Birdamor View Post
    The 'food' soup only happens in captivity, it doesn't happen in the wild (a parrot would have to be suicidal to go to ground and wet his food in a stream and become a sitting duck to predators)
    I really don't know about the rest of this question, but I can say that seeing the wild parrots on the ground is a common sight in Australia. I've not seen them dunking food in water, but Toos, Galahs & the like are constantly on the ground foraging. It's natural behaviour for them.

Last edited by TWR; 02-26-12 at 08:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kristen Dixon

I put the cage water bowls far from the food bowls, which seems to help prevent dunking by all but ELF. ELF would walk a mile to dunk nuts, pellets, and wood. Lol. He has a birdie butler water bottle and it's great. I do still give him a water bowl too, but the bottle gives me peace of mind that he always has clean, fresh water.
    Kristen & FIDS:
    Ziggy, Tootsie, Boogie, ELF & Geraldine Budgies
    Fly Free & High, Emmie. You are Mommy's Angel & I Love You Forever!
    Like Us on Facebook for Contest Prizes & Other Promotions
    Use Coupon Code "TheParrotBoard" at Checkout for 10% Off Most Items in the Store!

Post Thanks / Like

The article does have one thing right - macaws are notorious dunkers. All of mine dunk food, including fresh fruit, fresh veggies, pasta, every kind of food. They also dunk toys, wood pieces that they've chewed off of blocks or wood. Pretty much everything that they can carry in their beaks gets dunked.

The macaws are my only dunkers, though.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 02-27-12 at 02:44 AM.

+ Reply to Thread